I almost stopped there, knowing that if I kept the words inside me, the magic moment would go and I could get away without expressing my true feeling. 'You have no idea how much the last few days have meant to me', I began. 'Meeting you has been the best thing that's ever happened to me'. I hesitated, knowing that if I stopped now, I'd never be able to say it to anyone. 'I love you', I whispered. I had always imagined it would cost too much to say those two words together, but it was not. In my whole life had been more sure of my words, and although I hoped someday I could hear from Savannah the same words, what mattered most was knowing that love was mine to give, without strings or expectations.
'Did you ever imagine something like this?', she wondered aloud. 'You and me, I mean?'.
'No', I said.
'It scared me a little'. My stomach flipped, and all at once, I was sure she didn't feel the same way. 'You don't have to say it back to me', I began, 'That's not what I said it -'
'I know', she interrupted. 'You don't understand, I wasn't scared because you told me, I got scared because I wanted to say it too, I love you, John'.